Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOne A1222+ audio output with HDMI
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi there,

In my quest to get an audio over HDMI solution for my A1222 setup, I've so far tried a couple of devices called HDMI audio embedders. These devices replace the HDMI's audio signal with that of another source, so I thought that I would be able to connect the audio output of the A1222 to add it in to the HDMI signal.

The first device I tried was a CYP model AU-11CA which I was able to get second hand for a decent price. It worked fine on my (full HD) TV with video and audio from the A1222, but I struggled to get a video signal on my ultra-wide monitor which has a native resolution of 3440x1440.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Granted this HDMI audio embedder is intended for full HD sources (there is also a 4K version of this device) so resolutions beyond 1920x1080 is probably asking a bit much. Lowering the screen mode resolution down allowed it to work, but I was unable to get any audio with it through my setup for some reason which I never got to the bottom of. I should probably point out that my main setup is a bit convoluted which includes a 4-way HDMI switch with audio extractor going to a sound bar via an optical TOSLINK connection.

The second device I tried (which does up to 4K) was this one which was under £40 brand new shipped from China. I don't know the brand or model for this one, but it does appear to be very well built:

Resized Image

Resized Image

The first thing that struck me about this one is how petite it is compared with the CYP one.

I had a bit more success with this one as I now had audio output to my soundbar, but alas it still didn't work with my monitor's native resolution. My guess is that these devices are more intended for TV use applications so ultra-wide resolutions may be a bit of a curve ball for them.

I also have a third device being sent out to me, so I'll see if I have any better success with that.

Kind regards,

Francis

Amiga 1200 with Apollo IceDrake
Amiga 1222+ with RadeonRX 550
Go to top
Re: AmigaOne A1222+ audio output with HDMI
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi there,

So the third HDMI audio embedder (this one also de-embeds as well) arrived today, a Kramer FC-69. I think I was very lucky to get this one as I've seen these brand new for upwards of £400 and I managed to get it for less than a tenth of that price!

Resized Image

Resized Image

At first things appeared to be working splendidly with this one as I connected it up to the A1222, booted to the Workbench and the Workbench screen appeared in all its 3440x1440 glory. Then I switched the audio selection from the HDMI input to the 3.5" audio input and got this:

Resized Image

Rebooting the A1222 showed that the A1222 bootscreen up to the AmigaOS 4.1 screen worked okay, but the Workbench at the monitor's native resolution still didn't work with the 3.5" audio input selected.

There are switches on this unit that change various options, but the only way I could get the image to come back seemed to be to switch the audio back to the HDMI input. By chance, I ended up powering off the unit, and then power it back on and this happened:

Resized Image

It works! I can now get the A1222's video output at 3440x1440 with audio over the HDMI!

If I turn off the A1222 and then power it back on, the distorted screen at the Workbench occurs again and I either need to power cycle the HDMI audio embedder unit or disconnect and reconnect the HDMI from the A1222 for it to work. When the image works, it appears to still be okay when I reboot.

Now that I have sound being output on my setup, it has thrown up some issues with the A1222's audio, but I'll raise this in a separate thread.

I hope this thread has been of benefit, or at the very least of interest.

Kind regards,

Francis

Amiga 1200 with Apollo IceDrake
Amiga 1222+ with RadeonRX 550
Go to top

Register To Post