Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

A1222 Plus, Radeon 5450 HD, monitor not getting screenmodes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
So when I boot and get to WB, with my monitor, an Acer XV242 F, I get two resolutions, 640x480 and I think 720x400. What I want first and foremost is 1920x1080 which is the native resolution.

I also tried to connect it to my Samsung TV and there I do get all screenmodes so as a workaround I boot to workbench with it connected to the TV and then I switch cables and the resolutions stays untill I reboot.

Now that is better than nothing but not how it should be and it becomes quite tiresome because I do need to reboot every now and then, especially now, trying out software to see what runs and what doesn't.

Edited by hotrod on 2024/8/18 17:42:52
Go to top
Re: A1222 Plus, Radeon 5050 HD, monitor not getting screenmodes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
It seems it's not getting screen mode info from monitor. Do you see any info when booting with Acer and checking DumpDebugInfo in shell? It should have EDID info in dump.

You should be able to save the screen mode when connected to the TV. But it will likely fail on next boot. You may need to go into ScreenMode tabs and define a manual setup. When set to detect automatically it can fail and you will end up at a low res screen.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thanks for the reply and suggestions, I will give it a try eventually.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have a similar problem on my A1222 which I have connected directly to my Samsung TV. All resolutions work fine, but with 640x480 16/32 bit I have problems, which means that I don't see the firmware boot menu and the AmigaOs4.1 boot logo doesn't appear...probably because the logo uses 640x480 as resolution. To date I have not been able to solve these problems, I will probably have to buy a new TV.

When using another old small TV as a screen, all resolutions work without problems.

Edited by Maijestro on 2024/8/18 20:08:47
MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

Unless things have been changed 800x600 mode should be used for early menu, for firmware at leasst. Though 640x480 is closest to PAL or NTSC. In any case 640x480 should be minimum supported. It's no exactly low res. It's possible the Radeon driver calculated an out of range mode or messed up 640x480 in some way.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hypex

Quote:

Unless things have been changed 800x600 mode should be used for early menu, for firmware at leasst. Though 640x480 is closest to PAL or NTSC. In any case 640x480 should be minimum supported. It's no exactly low res. It's possible the Radeon driver calculated an out of range mode or messed up 640x480 in some way.

It is quite possible that this is the case. I was able to observe this behavior with an RX550/570. I also tested the resolution 640x480 8/16/32 bit via the prefs screen mode, but my Samsung TV then goes into the unsupported screen mode.

With some games that also use 640x480 it's the same, the only workaround is to use “ALT +N”, when I pull down the Workbench title bar I can also see the resolution used behind the Workbench screen. Apparently my SamsungTV is doing something that the driver may not expect or support. As mentioned with a slightly older flat screen, there are no issues with 640x480 resolution as well as seeing Uboot firmware and the AmigaOs4.1 boot logo.

You can see it again here, it's from a video I recorded a while ago. A-EON A1222 bootlogo is still shown and a little bit of the Frimware, but firmware menu and AmigaOs4.1 bootlogo is not shown.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/auJbQDLfBpE

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Re: A1222 Plus, Radeon 5450 HD, monitor not getting screenmodes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

So it looks like the newer builds of UBoot are way better than the CFE of my X1000. By the time your machine booted my X1000 would have just got to the boot logo.

It looked like it had quietly autobooted into OS4. The way the tail end of the Kickstart appeared. It's somewhat strange as it starts thinking and looses the signal. Then suddenly OS4 appears! Usually it wouldn't come back. It would be good to know what frequencies are being used. Out of range messages without any range listed are rarely helpful.

The screen looks huge compared to the A1222 case. Is it hooked in with HDMI? I don't know if DVI is even supported but I expected it to replace VGA. Only see HDMI on my 2017 Samsung TV. But it's unclear what is happening as machines like the old Sams exhibit similar behaviour. As the machine can boot up with a delay on monitor so only the tail end of Kickstart loading can be seen. But, that could be the monitor as well, which may be slower to switch screen modes.

Edited by Hypex on 2024/8/23 16:58:43
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
yeh screenmodes can be a bit of voodoo, even on my X5000 with various videos cards I have used over the years. On one monitor it can detect many offerings yet leaves out some common ones where another display adds some back that were missing but now I am missing different ones. haha..

I like 2560x1440 and I had to tweak lots of settings manually and figure out what options this display could handle and after lots of trial and error, got my 2560x1440 back.

This happens any time I do a more major re-install of the OS, etc...

Yeh, voodoo I say. haha

TJ

AmigaOne Tabor
AmigaOne X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hypex

Quote:

So it looks like the newer builds of UBoot are way better than the CFE of my X1000. By the time your machine booted my X1000 would have just got to the boot logo.

Yes, the x1000/x5000 boot much slower, but they are more powerful. I'm not sure how A-EON did it, but it's really good and I'm glad they did. We all know ourselves that we have to reboot our hardware often because we have no real memory protection, especially when testing. And here, of course, you want short boot times...

Quote:

It looked like it had quietly autobooted into OS4. The way the tail end of the Kickstart appeared. It's somewhat strange as it starts thinking and looses the signal. Then suddenly OS4 appears! Usually it wouldn't come back. It would be good to know what frequencies are being used. Out if range messengers without any range listed are rarely helpful.

hmmm....I don't know if I have understood this exactly, is there something I can use to find out?

Maybe the technical data of my Samsung Tv would be helpful, or something under AmigaOs4.1 that I can do?

Quote:
The screen looks huge compared to the A1222 case. Is it hooked in with HDMI? I don't know if DVI is even supported but I expected it to replace VGA. Only see HDMI on my 2017 Samsung TV. But it's unclear what is happening as machines like the old Sams exhibit similar behaviour. As the machine can boot up with a delay on monitor so only the tail end of Kickstart loading can be seen. But, that could be the monitor as well, which may be slower to switch screen modes.

Yes, it's a 55-inch SmartTV from Samsung and yet I'm sitting about 2 meters away in front of my machine which is completely connected via wireless (keyboard/mouse). I have already tested it all apps/games that use 640x480 are not supported by my TV or the graphics card driver. The switching times of my TV are usually very short and even a longer wait does not help. It is also strange that a resolution of 640x512 works again. The a1222 is connected directly to my TV via HDMI.

Go to top

Register To Post