Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
32 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 32

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOne X5000 - Upgrade and refresh
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am thinking about doing a full upgrade and refresh on my X5000. I want to get a better video card, maybe a newer hard drive (not sure), and then do a clean install and make sure everything is up to date. I haven't been using my machine much, so I figured now was the time to do this. My questions are as follows:

1. What is the best, most compatible video card these days for Amiga OS? Is it the RX 580?

2. Any issues doing a reinstall of the OS after I install an RX video card? I do have Enhancer 2.2, but it won't be installed until after the OS.. I will need to make sure I can at least see the screen in low resolution until I can get enhancer installed.

3. Any recommendations on hard drives? SSD? Any specific brands/models?

4. UBOOT... I know this has been updated a few times.. anywhere to go get the latest version?

5. Any other thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!

-Eric Lamb (Slygon)

Go to top
Re: AmigaOne X5000 - Upgrade and refresh
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You may need to, or best to, install the OS with your older video card, then update the Expander that has newer drivers, that way old and new drivers present, and then install new video card so it can use the newer drives and you get video.

There may be a way to move things in as you do BUT I don't know how to do that so I upgraded my Expander while the older video card was in, installed my new Expander to newest version, then made the hardware change, and all seemed to work OK for me other than the oddball losing of some resolutions I prefered 1440p, etc.. that I had to play around with to get back.

I like my RX580 very much by the way. I also have multiple drives in my X5K, an older HDD that has all my old stuff that I can boot from if needed and an SSD that is my newest boot drive. Plenty of space in my case to have several drives.

Good luck!

TJ

AmigaOne Tabor
AmigaOne X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks TJ!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@slygon

3. Long time ago someone recommended OMC SSDs for Mac, because they manage trim themselves (no Amiga filesystem does this). Personally, I use a Samsung.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc

Took a look at them the other night and they aren't too expensive.

4. I got an updated UBOOT from AmigaKit last year, but Matthew was my vendor. Drop him a line, see if he can oblige.

5. If you can, try and get the updated version of NGF filesystem. It has not been officially released. I have emailed Tony but got no reply. It's not backwards compatible with the release version of NGF, so if you're rebuilding from scratch its ideal.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@daveyw

Actually, I think the latest version of NGF has been officially released with the A1222+, but I don't know if it is compatible with the X5000.

Go to top

Register To Post