Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
177 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 177

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

SMB2FS volume name query
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi there,

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, so hopefully it is okay in the Amiga General Forum.

I've installed SMB2FS, set up the DOSDriver and everything is working fine with connecting to my NAS drive. However, I would like to name the volume to something like "Network Drive", but I can't figure out how to have a name that includes spaces.

The DOSDriver has an entry something like this:

Startup="smb://my_nas/home VOLUME=nas_name"

How can I include a volume name with spaces in it?

Kind regards,

Francis

Amiga 1200 with Apollo IceDrake
Amiga 1222+ with RadeonRX 550
Go to top
Re: SMB2FS volume name query
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@dfstudios

if you a tlking about "smb2-handler" then here is my mount file:

Handler   L:smb2-handler
StackSize 
Priority  
GlobVec   
= -1
Startup   
"smb://mypsw:myusr@192.168.99.99/share VOLUME=UBUNTU-CC"

Activate 1

EDIT: ooops, you want a blank space on your name? Maybe it doesn't support space. Or try to enclose the vol name between *" or '"

something like:
'"my share'"

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jabirulo

Yes, it's the smb2-handler I'm mounting.

I had already tried what you suggested amongst other things, but I wasn't able to get them to work. I did however just find a solution which was to remove the startup section from the SMB2 DOS driver file and include it as part of the Mount command, something like this:

C:Mount SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/SMB2 STARTUP smb://MyNAS/home VOLUME="Network Drive"

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@dfstudios

I know this is not exactly what you are looking for as an answer (Network folder with spaces) but I wanted to show you briefly how I did it.

The network share should only be available when I really need it, so I removed the handler, gave it an icon and put it in the dock. As soon as I need the network folder I just start it from AmiDock which works really well. With "dismount smb2:" I can then log the whole thing off again.

The transfer rates are about max 2.5 MB/sec, more is not possible?

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Maijestro

I did consider having the handler started from the dock, but I prefer it being started at boot time.

Quote:
Maijestro wrote:
The transfer rates are about max 2.5 MB/sec, more is not possible?

I'm getting ~15 MB/s for copying from my NAS drive and ~17 MB/s copying to the NAS drive:

Resized Image

This was copying a file that was >1 GB. If I'm copying a lot of small files, it can be quite a bit slower.

For comparison, I can get more than 100 MB/s transferring files between my PC and the NAS drive. I don't have my Mac configured for using the NAS yet.

I'm using the A1222eth.device driver. I don't know what difference using the P1022eth.device driver would have.

Kind regards,

Francis

EDIT: Out of curiousity, I've just tried the P1022eth.device driver doing the same test as before:

Resized Image

Although the max. upload speed is about the same, the max. download speed is seeing a significant improvement at ~22 MB/s. I wasn't expecting there to be as much of a difference as this.

Edited by dfstudios on 2024/6/30 19:08:36
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@dfstudios
Quote:
How can I include a volume name with spaces in it?
According to the sources in https://github.com/salass00/smb2fs/blob/master/src/main.c, which removes the first and last " from startup and then uses IDOS->ReadArgs(), using something like
Startup="smb://my_nas/home VOLUME="nas name""
or
Startup=VOLUME "nas name" smb://my_nas/home
should work.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

I've tried this, but I just get errors saying things like "VOLUME" is not a valid keyword.

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@dfstudios

These are amazing values that you receive. And yes, the P1022eth.device driver is a bit faster than the A1222eth.device driver, but also a bit more prone to crashing in my tests.

I myself do not use a NAS drive but have only provided a shared folder under MacOs which I mount or make available with smb2fs on my A1222 and here only max 3MB/sec are possible or maybe I have done something wrong. Everything is directly connected via network cable, no WIFI.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@dfstudios

iirc it doesn't work when = is missing
Startup smb://my_nas/home VOLUME = "nas name"

works here, albeit in a mount file

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
While smb2fs does not have any problem with double-quote characters being used inside the startup string, it appears that the mount command does which I find strange given that it doesn't even bother to remove the surrounding quote characters before passing the string to smb2fs.

I will have to see if mount allows some way to escape the quotes and if not see about allowing the quotes to be written some way (f.i. as two single quotes).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@salass00
If it's using the standard dos.library functions (ReadArgs(), ReadLineItem(), ...) something like
Mount SMB2 STARTUP "smb://MyNAS/home VOLUME=*"Network Drive*""
should work and set the STARTUP string to
smb://MyNAS/home VOLUME="Network Drive"

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

I tried using asterisk (*") and also backslash (\") to escape the quotes but neither helped.

Go to top

Register To Post