Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)
Re: Qemu + VFIO GPU RadeonRX 550 + AmigaOS4 extremely slow
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Capehill

This is the one for science, using Radeon RX550 as the guinea pig:
https://ibb.co/mvX14CZ

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Georg
Quote:
as AOS timer.device may behave wrong (long disabled state, timer register overflows, whatever).
GetUpTime() results are reliable.
While it's not as easy on most PowerPC CPUs as it's on POWER and G2 CPUs (TBU = seconds, TBL = nanoseconds, overflow after 136 years) it should still be in the range of years or at least months.
Disable() may disable the TBL overflow interrupt, but not stop the 64 bit TimeBase registers from increasing monotonously.
IIRC AmigaOS 4.x uses a fraction of the FSB speed for the TimeBase register increments, but even if not and it's using something else it can be checked with the ReadEClock() return value what frequency it's using.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nikitas
Quote:
This is the one for science, using Radeon RX550 as the guinea pig:
It's working correctly with the RX card, which was expected. Only with the HD card something is seriously wrong.

Something completely unrelated:
Your text output looks bad. Are you using USA or Canada as country in the Locale prefs?
If yes sub-pixel rendering may sill be disabled in the diskfont/ft2.library text rendering functions, which had to be done because of some patent issues.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nikitas
Quote:
I'm the poor canary flying into the mineral mine tunnel to see if toxic gas exists further inside. Let's see if I die...

I even cleaned the connectors and PCIe slot with Isopropyl 90. I found the (hidden) mvme SSD, removed it, and placed it in another slot away from the CPU. (in case it was using PCIe lanes as read). What else can somebody do, I wonder.

I think that we can safely rule out hardware issues. I've seen some threads about VFIO performance issues with Windows, and there it's always a matter of messing with the sofware configurations.

Quote:
Could be a problem that I don't do Single-GPU passthrough? I use the integrated GPU for my host and I pass the RX550 through QEMU/VFIO, plugged in a second monitor for the guest OS.

AFAIK, that's a pretty normal set up.

Geennaam also gets poor performance with the RX 550, and his Radeon HD card also slowed down with ethernet or an emulated USB flash drive.

@balaton
Quote:
Maybe the HD card could work if MicroDelay didn't have a problem with that card. This might mean these cards are slow for different reasons. It's also possible that problem with HD card is not actually in MicroDelay but could it be that something is disabling multitasking so the test runs slower even though the delay would return in time? What could do that with only the HD card but not RX card and how could that be confirmed? Maybe snoopy can log calls to Disable/Forbid and see if there are more of these with the HD card than RX card?

I'm shocked that the graphics card had any impact on MicroDelay(), because the graphics card is NOT involved in that function. The RadeonHD driver does have an added Disable()/Enable() when enabling/disabling the vblank interrupt, but that shouldn't be happening more than twice the monitor's refresh rate. If nothing is waiting for the vblank, then that code doesn't get run at all.

If Snoopy can log Disable()/Enable() calls, then yes, it'll be possible to see if there's more of them with the RadeonHD card.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

EDIT: FORGET THIS. IIRC, the drivers only use vblank interrupts. So if vblank interrupts are disabled (which nikitas has done), then there should be no interrupts.

Geennaam suggested that use of legacy interrupts might cause trouble. Modern drivers use Message-Signalled-Interrupts (MSI), and it's safe to assume that almost everyone using VFIO to pass-through their graphics card has MSI enabled drivers. We don't, because AmigaOS doesn't support MSI. So, our drivers use legacy INTx interrupts.

Legacy INTx interrupts need special handling and, given that few people will be using them, it's possible that QEmu's code for handling them hasn't been thoroughly tested. From here:

For a legacy INTx interrupt, you should know that the vfio_irq_info will report VFIO_IRQ_INFO_AUTOMASKED, meaning that the physical interrupt is automatically masked once it is triggered since these are level triggered interrupts will would otherwise continue to fire on the host until serviced by the guest or userspace driver.

To enable the interrupt, you'll want to call VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS to provide an VFIO_IRQ_SET_DATA_EVENTFD for the VFIO_IRQ_SET_ACTION_TRIGGER. This will enable the interrupt and you'll be notified when an interrupt occurs via poll(2), select(2) or similar on the eventfd.

As above, when an interrupt occurs and you've finished servicing the device, you'll need to unmask the interrupt before a new interrupt can be triggered. There are multiple ways to do this. As described in the header file, you might use VFIO_IRQ_SET_DATA_NONE and VFIO_IRQ_SET_ACTION_UNMASK to effect the unmask. You could also use VFIO_IRQ_SET_DATA_BOOL, but that's a bit overkill since your bool array would contain a single index for the INTx interrupt. You can also create another eventfd, such that you have one for signaling the interrupt and one for unmasking the interrupt, in that case you'd use VFIO_IRQ_SET_DATA_EVENTFD, VFIO_IRQ_SET_ACTION_UNMASK when configuring the interrupt, and then you could simply write to the eventfd to effect the unmask.

Edited by Hans on 2024/7/4 9:31:36
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@balaton

I tried to use Linux and Windows guest with QEMU, but I must have messed up my host system so much, both in OS and UEFI, that installations do not even start using VFIO.

When I run the qemu-system-x86_64 process, my host's monitor, which uses the integrated Intel GPU, gets crazy. This means that Windows and everything graphic turn to a strange multicolour pattern as if the integrated GPU is malfunctioning. I see a "flash" on the guest's monitor, but it doesn't start booting.

When I stop the QEMU process, the host's monitor turns back to normal, and the artifacts are gone.

I have to reset UEFI settings and some of the OS settings and try again.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

I barely understand a thing. But does this mean that we have a clue now?

When I start the qemu-system-ppc process it turns the card to the legacy IRQ mode INTx:
Interruptpin A routed to IRQ 16

When I stop the process, I see no difference. But when I reboot the host system, it gets back to (which means MSI?):
Interruptpin A routed to IRQ 255

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans
The QEMU vfio device should do all that managing interrupts, from the guest it should appear as a normal PCI interrupt. There could be problems however if there is a problem somewhere passing through the interrupts. But I think if other PCI interrupts work, the vfio-pci device uses the same way so it should work too on the PCI side of it. I don't know about the vfio side. We're also passing a PCIe card as PCI to the guest so it may be an unusual config that's not well tested. As long as the guest does not try to access PCIe parts it might work though. There are some traces in QEMU's vfio that could be enabled, look in qemu/hw/vfio/trace-events. You can enable all of them with -trace enable="vfio*" but that might generate a lot of logs. Some logs might also be in the Linux kernel logs as vfio is handled there. Maybe there are some clues that could be get from those?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@HansQuote:
Hans wrote:@nikitas
[quote]
I'm shocked that the graphics card had any impact on MicroDelay(), because the graphics card is NOT involved in that function.

It's not known if it's MicroDelay() specifically or if "with that gfx card" any other task which does something (heavy, like some other kind of benchmark, or calculation, or even just a compilation of some code) would see the same slowdown.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Georg
Guest-only code like compiling something may not have such extreme slow-downs, no matter what the reason for the slow speed is.
MicroDelay() reads the emulated TBU/TBL registers, which probably requires exiting the JITed PPC guest code, executing host QEmu code to set/update the emulated TBU/TBL registers and returning back to the guest code.
I don't know how QEmu works, but limiting QEmu to a single host CPU core with taskset may cause additional slowdowns in such cases.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)