Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
29 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 28

MigthyMax, more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Hard drive backup software
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi there,

I've been looking for something I could use to back up my A1222's hard drive to my NAS drive, but I've not been able to find anything that really suits my needs for one reason or another.

I originally wrote a script that would compress the files of each partition using LHA, but I've since noted that this approach is not ideal if an error occurred. As this is a simple script I could end up in the position where the archive is incomplete (which has already happened), so I'm looking for something a bit more intelligent.

I've seen tools that mirror the hard drives by just copying the files, but these fail to work on the NAS drive.

BackMan which I used to use back in the day seems to work well, but has a 10MB limit unless it is registered. The latest version which doesn't require the registration appears to be MorphOS only.

I've tried ABackup, but this sometimes hangs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Francis

Amiga 1200 with Apollo IceDrake
Amiga 1222+ with RadeonRX 550
Go to top
Re: Hard drive backup software
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jabirulo

Thanks for that, but as I said tools like these where the files are just copied don't work with the NAS drive. BackItAllUp just continually throws up errors during the backup process as it is unable to set protection bits and comments. Backup is unable to even select the NAS drive and just flashes the screen.

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@dfstudios

Under Qemu/Peg2 I have always used AmiDVD for backups and made bootable iso,s it was a 1 to 1 copy and that worked fine. When I needed the backup, I could quickly mount it with DiskimageGUI and had quick access to my backed up data.

But on the A1222 AmiDVD doesn't work anymore, I guess it has to do with NGFS, this file system is not supported by AmiDVD?

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@dfstudios

How do you mount your NAS drive(s)?

If Backup (onyxsoft) throws errors on choosing the NAS, there is definitely something wrong with your (mounting) setup.

I use smb2fs as mounter and am using Backup all the time to and from without any hassle (big files, thousands of small files, all of them work fine).

you could also try http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... y/shell/backupcopy.tar.gz
(didn't test it, but it sounds interesting with multiple possibilities)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
But on the A1222 AmiDVD doesn't work anymore, I guess it has to do with NGFS, this file system is not supported by AmiDVD?
The file system should make no difference. I don't remember if there was a A1222 beta tester as well, but on the X1000 and X5000 AmiDVD should work starting with version 1.53 or 1.54 of the enhancer software versions of AmiDVD, even with beta kernels, since about 2 years again.
Maybe it's still not released publicly through enhancer updates?

Of course the AmiDVD versions illegally distributed by Hyperion on the AmigaOS 4.1 FE or newer CDs are supposed to fail. Hyperion has no licence for it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
joerg wrote:@Maijestro
Quote:
The file system should make no difference. I don't remember if there was a A1222 beta tester as well, but on the X1000 and X5000 AmiDVD should work starting with version 1.53 or 1.54 of the enhancer software versions of AmiDVD, even with beta kernels, since about 2 years again.
Maybe it's still not released publicly through enhancer updates?

Of course the AmiDVD versions illegally distributed by Hyperion on the AmigaOS 4.1 FE or newer CDs are supposed to fail. Hyperion has no licence for it.

Enhancer software was also supplied with the A1222, AmiDVD is in Utilities in the Enhancer package, but when I want to start AmiDVD nothing happens, there is not even an error message.

It is version 1.53 that I have checked, and I cannot get a newer version via updates. It seems that AmiDVD is still beta and has not yet been adapted for the A1222.

It's a pity that I can't use it anymore, you provide a really great tool with AmiDVD

Resized Image

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Sorry, it was partially my fault, I forgot to update the version numbers.
It seems there were (at least) 3 different (beta) versions of AmiDVD 1.53:
AmiDVD 1.53 (6.3.2022), not working.
AmiDVD 1.53 (12.3.2022), file size 31861 bytes, not working.
AmiDVD 1.53 (12.3.2022), file size 141544 bytes, working.

It's probably because of the same version numbers and partially dates that the older, not working yet version is still the one used for Enhancer Software

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RazielQuote:
Raziel wrote:@dfstudios

How do you mount your NAS drive(s)?

If Backup (onyxsoft) throws errors on choosing the NAS, there is definitely something wrong with your (mounting) setup.

Hmm, I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong in the mounting. I'm using smb2fs. The smb2-handler is version 53.7. I have an SMB2 mount file in SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers which is mounted from S:Network-Startup.

I'm just having a look at BackUp again. If I open the file requester to select the target and go to the volumes, the NAS drive is reported as being 100% full with 0B free and 0B in use. Clicking on the NAS drive causes the screen to flash in error (clicking on anything else works fine).

If I use something like MultiEdit and open the file requester, the NAS drive is shown correctly (83% full, 595.2GB free and 2,971.1 GB in use).

Manually typing in the target location and clicking backup produces an error that BackUp was unable to create the target directory.

If I have MUI's PatchASL enabled, then the sizes are now reported correctly in BackUp and I can select the NAS drive, but it still fails with the unable to create target directory message.

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

That makes no sense. AmiDVD is offered for free on OS4Depot. If it's not permitted as a Contrib then that's fine as it is available online. But why doesn't the public version work? Or why aren't they updated to work? Seems there's a circular dependency if Hyperion is banned from including it, but it needs an OS produced by Hyperion to work on, regardless of where it is located from.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joergQuote:
joerg wrote:
It's probably because of the same version numbers and partially dates that the older, not working yet version is still the one used for Enhancer Software

Might be an idea to mark the version numbers with letter suffixes to denote it's a beta version. I typically use 'a' for alpha versions and 'b' for beta versions, e.g 1.53b.

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@dfstudios
AmigaOS version strings don't support letters, nor more than 2 numbers, i.e. neither "1.53b" nor "1.53.2" are valid AmigaOS versions.
Usually version x.y with even y used to be beta versions, release versions had an odd y.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
joerg wrote:@Maijestro
Sorry, it was partially my fault, I forgot to update the version numbers.
It seems there were (at least) 3 different (beta) versions of AmiDVD 1.53:
AmiDVD 1.53 (6.3.2022), not working.
AmiDVD 1.53 (12.3.2022), file size 31861 bytes, not working.
AmiDVD 1.53 (12.3.2022), file size 141544 bytes, working.

What a mess

Ok of course that explains why AmiDVD can't work. Maybe you have the possibility to fix it, I would like to use your AmiDVD as a backup tool under my A1222.

Mistakes happen we are all human and not machines. Sometimes it is really an advantage that I try out many things under AmigaOs4.1 where I then notice something like this.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hypex
Quote:
That makes no sense. AmiDVD is offered for free on OS4Depot.
Free to use != free to redistribute.

From the os4depot.net header
Distribute:     no
and from aminet.net
Distribution:    Aminet

Quote:
If it's not permitted as a Contrib then that's fine as it is available online. But why doesn't the public version work?
Too old, and already included copy protection measurements to make sure it doesn't work in case a piracy company like Hyperion illegally distributes it.
In case the old os4depot.net/aminet.net version 1.46 (27.5.2008) is still working it's of course OK to keep using it.

Quote:
Or why aren't they updated to work?
Because A-Eon has an exclusive licence for distributing it now.
(For free, I don't get money for it, but that's irrelevant.)

Quote:
Seems there's a circular dependency if Hyperion is banned from including it, but it needs an OS produced by Hyperion to work on, regardless of where it is located from.
It doesn't, or at least shouldn't, work on an Hyperion OS, but only on an A-Eon OS (ExecSG, Enhancer Software, etc.).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Indeed on another post it was requested that this March 12, 2022 version of AmiDVD be introduced in an update.

This request dates from 2023 and still nothing yet.

Would it not be possible to put this version here to download it?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@skynet

Quote:
skynet wrote:Indeed on another post it was requested that this March 12, 2022 version of AmiDVD be introduced in an update.

This request dates from 2023 and still nothing yet.

Would it not be possible to put this version here to download it?

I think this will not be possible because it is linked to EnhancerSoftware, but you can make sure that this new working version is available for all buyers via Enhancer Update. And I hope they will too...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@dfstudios

This thread
https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9586
wasn't conclusive.

Could you maybe post your smb2fs mount file (excluding personal data)

I'm using exactly the same and it works here.

What hardware is providing your NAS?
I'm using a Synology server.

Can you access your NAS normally (read/write/seek ezc) from WB?

MUI's PatchASL shouldn't be required if you're using AmigaOS4, since this "patch" has been incorporated into the OS and will only mess up everything even more

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RazielQuote:
you could also try http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... y/shell/backupcopy.tar.gz
(didn't test it, but it sounds interesting with multiple possibilities)

I had briefly looked at this previously, but dismissed it as it just seemed to crash and there were other problems. According to the readme it was written for AROS so the OS4 version hasn't been tested.

Revisiting it I've had a bit more success with it, but to use the archive function it needs dependencies, then it seems the dependencies need dependencies. The mirror function seemed to work okay at the beginning, but after a while it crashed during the copy process.

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RazielQuote:
Could you maybe post your smb2fs mount file (excluding personal data)

I'm using exactly the same and it works here.

What hardware is providing your NAS?
I'm using a Synology server.

Can you access your NAS normally (read/write/seek ezc) from WB?

MUI's PatchASL shouldn't be required if you're using AmigaOS4, since this "patch" has been incorporated into the OS and will only mess up everything even more

PatchASL was one of the first things I disabled when getting my A1222. It caused me a bit of grief trying to figure out why I couldn't change some of the font settings until I realised this was the issue. I certainly don't miss it.

I have a Synology DS223 connected via a Netgear GS110EMX network switch. I can access it fine from Workbench, Shell and other applications.

Here is the mount file:

Handler L:smb2-handler
StackSize 
Priority 
GlobVec 
= -1

The icon ToolTypes for the mount file has ACTIVATE=1 in it.

This is the S:Network-Startup file (personal information removed):

$VERNetwork-Startup 53.2 (01.06.2011)

AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)

Add below this line applications that need a running network

;BEGIN Mount NAS Drive
C
:Mount SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/SMB2 STARTUP smb://MyNAS/home VOLUME = "Home (NAS)" USER = "user" PASSWORD = "password"
;END Mount NAS Drive

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@dfstudios

wow, complicated...

why not put the startup line inside the mountfile?
but ok, if it works its fine

how was your synology set up regarding smbfs?
lowest supported smbfs version?
highest?

mine is set to lowest 2, highest 3

the amiga side seems to be fine, there is probably an issue in the synology settings that messes the drive up

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »