Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
204 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Hard drive backup software
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

As discussed in the other thread, there is an issue with putting spaces in the name of the drive, hence why I have put the STARTUP line in the Network-Startup mount.

The drive is set to support SMB2 and SMB3, which is the default. I don't think I've changed anything on the NAS that might affect it communicating with the Amiga. Everything seems to work on the Amiga with the NAS, except the BackUp program.

Kind regards,

Francis

Amiga 1200 with Apollo IceDrake
Amiga 1222+ with RadeonRX 550
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I tested these different backup programs a bit, with BackItAllUp, in copy with a disk on the Amiga no problem works well, but with a remote disk I get errors with the comments and the date?

The same with BackUp I also have errors.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@skynet
Copying single files to any non-AmigaOS file system can't work, for example the AmigaOS comments and protection bits will be missing, and in most cases links as well.

You have to use an archive or a partition image instead, but
- LhA supports AmigaOS protection bits, comments and soft links, but no hard links.
- tar supports hard and soft links, but no AmigaOS comments and protection bits.
- ISO 9660 with RockRidge extension (for example MakeCD, Frying Pan, AmiDVD, etc.) supports AmigaOS protection bits and comments, but no links.
- BRU should theoretically support everything, but it's 40 years old software, extremely complicated to use and the AmigaOS 4.x port may have even more bugs than the Kickstart 1.x version had.
- AFAIK the AmigaOS port of ZIP is the only archive format supporting everything required without too much bugs.

The easiest, fastest and most compatible way to make reliable backups is storing image files of your partitions, instead of the individual files and dirs, on external media like NAS, USB, etc.
But I don't know if there is any usable AmigaOS backup software using partition image files.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

I refrained from doing cross-over backups due to afore mentioned issues/shortcomings...

Instead i'm running a system-wide backup to an extra 2 TB HDD on the amiga and another backup of the Synology data to an extra synology hdd

access to the synology shares do work without hassle, though,m still wondering why it gives grief to @dfstudios

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Jörg,

Thanks for the explanation, I understand better now.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@dfstudios

Thanks for sharing your SMB info, it very much appreciated.

I am new to Amiga OS 4.1 and A1222+, I am just getting my bearings.

I tried to replicate the SMB setup you provided in the previous post as close as possible but I have a problem.

I too have a Synology NAS 212J.

-- Selected novice install of SMB2 handler.
-- It installed fine without errors.
-- I duplicated the PAR file from the DEVS/DOSDrives.
-- I rename PAR to SMB.
-- I open the SMB file via notepad.
-- I deleted previous PAR info and pasted below:

Handler = L:smb2-handler
StackSize = 65536
Priority = 5
GlobVec = -1

-- Save SMB file.
-- I right click, click information on the SMB file.
-- Then click icon tab, then under tooltypes:

ACTIVATE=1

-- Save the SMB file.
-- Then went to the S Drawer.
-- Right click to edit Network Startup file with this below:

; $VER: Network-Startup 53.2 (01.06.2011)

AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)

; Add below this line applications that need a running network

;BEGIN Mount NAS Drive
C:Mount SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/SMB2 STARTUP smb://Synology/home VOLUME = "BoabsterBkup" USER = "Boabster" PASSWORD = "DummyPassword"
;END Mount NAS Drive

-- Save the file.
-- Rebooted A1222+.
-- Upon Amiga OS 4.1 startup.
-- I get this error msg requester on-screen with just an OK button below:

"Handler is not a valid keyword.
File SMB, Line 1, Column 1."

Any ideas where I gone wrong here?
Many thanks for feedback and its appreciated.

Amiga OS 4.1 with A1222+
Amiga 1200 with V2, V4 & PiStorm32.
C64 with Epyx Fast Load and the VIC20.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Boabster

Try deleting everything in your SMB file in DOSDrivers and then manually keying in the same information you pasted the first time.

If it was copied from a forum page, it probably contains NBSPs or other invalid invisible characters.

Handler should be a valid keyword.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
With a foreign file system, I think a feature like UAE has would be good for Workbench, that copies over Amiga attributes in separate files. I somewhat expected OS4 to have a feature like this already.

Opening a FAT stick on OS4 looks like a dogs breakfast already when you need to show all files, it just isn't aware of non-Amiga file systems. This way we wouldn't have to worry so much about protection bits and what not. It might even work with other software like DirOpus.

It might not help people that unpack Amiga archives on their PC, then copy to Amiga and install. But it would bring OS4 up to the same level as UAE where you can freely share files with host.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache and everyone.

Thank you for your replies.

I manually re-typed the info again in the SMB file.

Upon rebooting the A1222+.

I get this requester pop up.

Guru Meditation 8000003
Task 0x6c2ba0c0
("SMB/smb2-handler 53.7")
generated an error of type DSI (Data Storage Interrupt)
on address 0x01a78d34.
Redzone was not damaged.
Stackpoint is inside bounds.

It looks like its completely borked my workbench.

It a complete white screen.

There is a workbench screen title bar at the top.

But right clicking does nothing.

Holding left click and dragging down can bring the workbench down with a black background.

Nothing else is happening, it appears to be stuck with just a complete empty white screen and no further.

Will try a reboot and report back.

Any other ideas, thank you.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ok, new update.

A reboot cause the same Guru mediation requester pop up again as explained in my previous post.

I tried the kill button option, no effect.

Another reboot, tried click More button and other options appeared.

I choose ignore DSI Error button.

That allowed me to get into workbench fully.

Another requester pop up message appeared.

"SMB argument is missing"?

Any other ideas? Thank you.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Boabster

Open up early start-up menu and boot into a shell. Rename or delete file out of the way. Then reboot.

Just like in the classic days.

I can see a recovery Workbench would be beneficial here.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hypex

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to re-name the SMB file.

My Amiga OS can boot normally now.

I can still use HTTP to access my NAS for now.

I will try another attempt to get SMB working later.

It all part of the fun learning how to break things and try to repair it yourself.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Boabster

That's good. Yes it is annoying when a simple text file can break the system. A good idea would be a simple system manager that could be called from start up menu that could do basic editing and disable these drivers.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Boabster

Sorry for the late reply. I ended up having an injured back, neck and shoulder which has prevented me from being on the computer.

From the sounds of it you have done almost the same as me. I don't know if this would make a difference, but is the NAS drive connected directly to the A1222 or via a network switch?

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joergQuote:
joerg wrote:@skynet
Copying single files to any non-AmigaOS file system can't work, for example the AmigaOS comments and protection bits will be missing, and in most cases links as well.

Quote:
The easiest, fastest and most compatible way to make reliable backups is storing image files of your partitions, instead of the individual files and dirs, on external media like NAS, USB, etc.
But I don't know if there is any usable AmigaOS backup software using partition image files.

Thanks for the explanation joerg. I don't understand what is meant by hard and soft links though. Something for me to look up.

I'm starting to think I'll need to change my backup strategy. For now I've just stuck a USB stick in the back of the A1222 that I can create backups to.

One of the backup tools I was looking at did have a backup partition option, but I never tested this and I suspect it probably has a 2GB limit since it is an old piece of software for classic Amigas.

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@dfstudios

Quote:
I don't understand what is meant by hard and soft links though. Something for me to look up.
There's a good explanation in the documentation file for the MakeLink command:

SYS:Documentation/C/MakeLink.doc

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@dfstudios

Hello...

I have a Windows 10 machine that I use as a fileserver for production/backup etc. I also have an FTP server software running on it...

My solution on my AmigaONE X5000 is to have two hard drives hooked into the two on board SATA ports. The main drive (2TB) has two partitions, Workbench and Work.

The second hard drive has a single partition but is only used for backups and tempfiles. It is a 4TB NAS classed hard drive.

I use backup from Onyxsoft to mirror the contents of both partitions of the main hard drive into folders on the second hard drive. I've made a script that I execute from shell that looks like this.

BACKUP SOURCE DH0: TARGET DH2:WB_Backup BACKUP SHELLMODE LOGCON AUTOQUIT
BACKUP SOURCE DH1: TARGET DH2:Work_Backup BACKUP SHELLMODE LOGCON AUTOQUIT

I will then ZIP or LHA the things I really need to be backed up to my Windows 10 server and use an FTP client to upload to the server.

In your case, this mean that you will have to sacrifice a CD/DVD Rom though, since there are only 2 ports and there is no option to add a PCI SATA controller card that holds more ports.

This has been the most reliable way for me to make sure I have things backed up properly.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

Thanks for that.

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@dfstudios
Quote:
I'm starting to think I'll need to change my backup strategy. For now I've just stuck a USB stick in the back of the A1222 that I can create backups to.
If the USB stick is formatted with an AmigaOS file system that's working without problems.
What doesn't work is to backup Amiga files/dirs to an AmigaOS incompatible file system, for example a FAT, NTFS or extfs formatted USB stick, or SMB, FTP, WebDAV, etc. network drives.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Yes, I've got it formatted using NGF/01.

Kind regards,

Francis

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »