Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
165 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

Steady, more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

How to reboot ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi,

After installing Enhancer Software 2.2, the x5000/20 can no longer reboot warmly. What can I do ? Is there an explanation ?

Thanks, elfpipe

Go to top
Re: How to reboot ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@elfpipe

If you are using RadeonHD gfx card, you need to downgrade your RadeonHD driver to 3.7. With version 5.x the driver lost its ability to do a warm reboot.

Best regards,
Flynn

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@FlynnTheAvatar

Thanks!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi All,

Sorry not to hijack the post onto a different topic but a similar query.

I have the A1222+ system, sometimes it can completely lock up and I use the power button to power off and on the system to get it back into a responsive state.

I understand on the amiga classic you would use the Left CTRL, and the 2x amiga keys to reboot, the classic amiga.

However using a Windows keyboard, I understand, it is CTRL, left Alt and right Alt to reboot the A1222+ system.

But it does not always work, when the system completely locks up, it does not respond to those above keys, though I am using a wireless keyboard, could it maybe to do with that being unable to respond?

If I used a wired keyboard instead, you shoud not get that problem, it should be able to reboot the A1222+ regardless?

Amiga OS 4.1 with A1222+
Amiga 1200 with V2, V4 & PiStorm32.
C64 with Epyx Fast Load and the VIC20.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi @Boabster,

The issue is that if OS 4 crashes, it most likely also kills the USB stack. This means that it does not matters if you have a wired or wireless keyboard; because the stack is dead, no input will be processed.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@FlynnTheAvatar

Ah, I see, thank you for the clarification.

I guess in time we hope for a more resilant usb stack in the future.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Boabster

Really we need a more resilient system. The problem is the USB stack is task based so any system freeze will lock up input as if multitasking is disabled the stack is dead. This wasn't so bad on PS/2 (A1/XE) as it could read the ports in an interrupt and still detect it.

Anyway for reboot Ctrl-Alt-Alt is for hard reboot and will fully reboot machine. Crtl-Amiga-Amiga is still there in the form of Ctrl-Windows-Windows. Or Ctrl-Logo-Logo as I call it. There's some alternate forms if right Windows is missing, usually selectable in some input prefs, if it's not removed.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hypex
Quote:
Crtl-Amiga-Amiga is still there in the form of Ctrl-Windows-Windows. Or Ctrl-Logo-Logo as I call it.
Only if you don't use a Radeon HD or RX gfx card with current drivers.
With the old Radeon HD v3 drivers soft reboot still worked, but not with the v5 drivers any more.

Quote:
There's some alternate forms if right Windows is missing, usually selectable in some input prefs, if it's not removed.
On for AmigaOS unusable keyboards the Windows MENU key, usually between Alt Gr. (right ALT on AmigaOS) and the right CTRL key (same as left CTRL on AmigaOS since the original Amiga keyboards only had a single CTRL key), can be used as replacement for the missing right logo/AMIGA key.

Unlike the old PS/2 keyboards USB ones can't be used for rebooting if there is a serious crash, but what still works, or at least should, is the case power button:
Short press = soft/fast reboot (AmigaOS restart only)
Long press = hard reboot (complete reboot executing the firmware and reloading AmigaOS)
Very long press = power off

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg @Hypex & everybody in this thread.

Thanks for the additional reboot info.

It is very much appreciated.

Trying various key combos myself.

I think this is the hard reboot option.

It seem to respond to the key prompts better than the soft reboot option.

It is a WIFI usb receiver Logitec Waves Windows/MAC ergonomics keyboard.

I tried holding the keys in sequence below.

1. Left CTRL
2. Left ALT
3. Right CTRL.
Then
4. Right ALT.

The A1222+ reboots with an A-EON splash screen soon after and it then boots into Amiga OS 4.1 fine.

The soft reboot:

1. Left CTRL.
2. Left ALT.
3. Right ALT.

The monitor goes black, it remains black, I can see the monitor is refreshed but it not capturing the video signal from the GPU, it just remains black and I have to power off and on the A1222+ to get a display again.

For now I will stick to the hard reboot option and hopefully saves eveyone's new A1222+ front chassis power button from repeated use.

Edited by Boabster on 2024/7/19 20:23:38
Edited by Boabster on 2024/7/19 20:25:45
Edited by Boabster on 2024/7/19 20:31:42
Go to top

Register To Post