Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

Can a Power PC-based Amiga emulate a Power PC Macintosh?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm not sure this is the right forum for this but I'd like to be able to view some of my old Macintosh CD-ROMs.

I have Macintosh ROMs from my Emplant software, but I would like to be able to read my Macintosh files and CD-ROMs on a new Power PC-based Amiga

Go to top
Re: Can a Power PC-based Amiga emulate a Power PC Macintosh?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@mdcatdad
Quote:
I'd like to be able to view some of my old Macintosh CD-ROMs

I've never tried it but maybe this:
Basilisk 2 from OS4Depot

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mdcatdad

You can use MacOnLinux, not sure how well it runs, we do not have anything similar for AmigaOS4.
Basilisk II and SheepShaver is technically the same source code however, SheepShaver did run on MSDOS, can be run in DOSBOX perhaps, but I guess it will defeat the point.
On AmigaOS4, you pretty much stuck on 680x0 MacOS7.6.1 or MacOS8.x. as far as I know MacOSX requires a more advanced emulator then MacOS9. MacOS9 can perhaps be made to run, but you need a simple JIT compiler, something to virtualize the address space, so that does conflict with host OS. Basically, it only needs to emulate the reads and writes, everything else can be passed on unchanged.

And believe you need to hack branches and return from jumps. To jump into the correct JIT cache block. Illegal opcode can be used, not sure if needed, changing opcode somewhat easier, as does not change codes relative position, however. All that is nice but will there is register conflict with host OS that’s the next question, so basically it can be done, but it’s not without challenges.

If there will be register conflicts, then there will be more code changes needed, to the JIT cache.

Difficulty somewhere between medium to extremely difficult, time consuming, perhaps not worth it, high level of uncertainty.

If someone did it however, then the same code, can perhaps also be used in EUAE, to improve support for Biazzard PPC / CyberStorm PPC. GameCube etc.

The “dolphin” code does have PowerPC interpreter, advantage of using a interpreter, is it won’t conflict with the host OS, it can be a short cut to getting MacOS9 running, disadvantage it will run lot slower, can’t take advantage of native opcodes.

https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin ... /Core/PowerPC/Interpreter

Edited by LiveForIt on 2024/7/24 7:38:19
Edited by LiveForIt on 2024/7/24 7:40:44
Edited by LiveForIt on 2024/7/24 7:41:24
Edited by LiveForIt on 2024/7/24 7:53:50
Edited by LiveForIt on 2024/7/24 7:59:01
Edited by LiveForIt on 2024/7/24 8:02:30
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
IFusion PPC I believe...?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
In the past there was

https://pearpc.sourceforge.net

But the project is abandoned

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Reynolds

No, this won’t work, you need prepare emu or simulate patch, to move AmigaOS3.x out of the way. This patched won’t work on AmigaOS4.x

IFusion never supported real cdroms drives, it only worked with raw cd images. Perhaps flat.device can work, but I never tried.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

I know someone did a Mac on Amiga that was based on Mac on Linux, back in the early 4.0 days, but I never got it working, and I don't even know where my copy is. I suspect it would only work on an A1 G3/4

Go to top

Register To Post