Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 58

sTix, more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Amiga X5k CPU Cooler
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OK, nothing to worry about then It's amazing how low geennaam's X5000 CPU temperature is.

I have two fans blowing hot air out of the case but none to blow cool air into the case.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@smf

Quote:
smf wrote:@MartinWQuote:
MartinW wrote:
I have no idea what the A1222 is like, but I sincerely hope it's quieter or has better options.

The A1222 doesn't need much cooling.
I have a beta system and it was supplied with a super tiny fan that was quite loud.

I can't remember what i replaced it with as it's been a few years since i did it but probably a 40 or 60mm noctua fan and a 3d printed fan adaptor.

I had the same problem, the built-in fan was ok at the beginning but got louder and louder over time, so I decided to use the Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX, Quiet Premium Fan, 3-Pin (40x10mm, Brown) my system is now very quiet and I'm happy with it.

CPU temp shows me 64 degrees, but I suspect the software is not measuring this accurately. I also checked it again after intensive use of my hardware (2 hours of operation) the CPU cooler was just lukewarm.

As far as I know, the x5000 also uses a 40x10 fan standard configuration.

Here you can see a picture of the new fan I have installed:

Resized Image

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
X5000 is a 60mm fan. You can get (or 3D print) an 80 -> 60 baffle / adapter but it does impact cooling and can make more noise because of the air hitting the baffle.

I don't really know why my temps sit around 64C when Geennam's are so much lower as I use the same model of case as him (I took his recommendation). Maybe I don't have my case fans up so high? I think you can change the speed of them? But realistically 64 isn't going to be an issue on a CPU that is good up into the 90's. My CPU may sit at 64C the bulk of the time but I've never really seen it do much more than that. If we ever get multi-core then maybe the topic of temps might come up again. That's assuming the idle core is currently in some low power state. I don't know how these things work. Don't really need to know either. Will have to see the latest update come AmiWest but unless much progress has been made then I'm doubtful a stable multi-core will ever see the light of day at this point. But that's a different topic.

Amiga x5040 ı 16GB ı RX580
GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I might need to revisit this. I know the weather is hot at the moment, but my case fans are on max, there's cold air blowing out the top (it's a bottom to top, chimney effect case) and yet my system is sitting there idle at 70C.

That's getting a bit high for literally doing nothing more than a few startup items like the dock, etc.

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
That heatsink is just too small

Longtime ago I asked here what the spacing for the cooler mounting holes were, as Marcus used to sell PC heatsinks for the X5000.

Someone in good faith anwsered that the spacings were 60x60mm, but in hindsight I might have been given spacings for the fan mount and not the heatsink.

If the X5000 cooler mount might use standard PC spacings after all then it could open a world of off the shelf coolers for the X5000 to properly lower the temps and noise level.

Edited by Helloworld on 2024/8/2 16:50:20
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helloworld

If you mean these screws, then they are 63mm between screws, vertically and horizontally. Obviously diagonally will be more.

There's also more to it than just the size. You'd need a backplate for pretty much all modern coolers due to the flex they would add to the PCB. That backplate needs to clear all the SMT components on the back. That can probably be achieved with some non-conductive spacers. And then there's that weight and how it would affect the PCB and the CPU. Is the CPU socketed for example or is it BGA soldered? I don't know the answer to that as I've never had this heat sink off.

I don't think there's anything "off-the-shelf" that will work that's likely to be quieter. I think these CPUs are more accustomed to rack mount kit where noise doesn't matter, though I am guessing there.

Resized Image

[EDIT] I just went and measured a few random motherboards and coolers. They're all in the region of 73-85mm screw spacing for the mounts so way off. Which ties up with what I remember from when I got my X5K board.

Does anyone know the person that used to make them? Would they perhaps be willing to release the design to the community? Why did they stop? Did they just not want to do it any more or were people having problems? I have a couple of friends with the know-how and the kit to do something like that. Of course convincing them that they want to spend the time doing it when they already have their own things they want to do is another matter, but you can only ask.

Edited by MartinW on 2024/8/2 13:10:22
Edited by MartinW on 2024/8/2 13:59:52

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MartinW

Hmm, too bad, I was hoping that it was just a intel socket square spacing like LGA775.
The closest I think is socket 370 spacings (60x65mm)

Marcus Bräuker ran an Amiga store called Marcus Computer, he quit in 2016 due to a lack of time.

He used to sell a beefier heatsink, called the MagmaCooler, which allowed for a larger fan and significantly reduced temp.

Not sure what the MagmaCooler was based on but you can see on this archived store page, he also sold the "MagmaColluseum", which seems to be a Nofan CR-95,so he probably made custom mounting kits.

Not sure where to contact him anymore, he wanted to make more coolers in 2020 but didn't get any interest here.

Tower-style heatsinks are definitely the norm nowadays and requires a backplate,
but low profile/non-tower ones often instead have brackets installed on the cooler itself and screws from the back of the mobo into the bracket (e.g. Alphenföhn Black Ridge on AM4).

Making new brackets with threaded inserts probably isn't trivial,
you could drill holes in sheetmetal for a bracket and thread a long screw through the bracket to the back of the mobo
and tighten in down with nuts & metal+isolating washers or something sketchy like that.

Edit, so many, many typos on this phone..

Edited by Helloworld on 2024/8/2 16:26:56
Edited by Helloworld on 2024/8/2 16:34:54
Edited by Helloworld on 2024/8/2 16:40:27
Edited by Helloworld on 2024/8/2 16:45:43
Edited by Helloworld on 2024/8/2 16:59:34
Edited by Helloworld on 2024/8/2 17:08:01
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I may try contacting a few companies when I’m back from holiday. I’m about to be using my 5000 a lot more with a bit of luck and the increased noise and temps lately are very annoying and really badly timed. If I hadn’t spent so much on the 5000 I’d be very tempted to build a super quiet 1222 instead.

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)