Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
172 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Re: NetSurf 3.11 has been released!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Chris wrote:A1222 - might be something to do with the compilation switches used. I think it's not 100% compatible with other PPCs?

Are you involved in the development of Netsurf?

Otherwise I don't think it's a problem with the compilation options....all builds can be executed on the A1222 without any problems. There seems to be a connection problem here, probably via AmiSSL. In the post https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=149919#forumpost149919 also walkero described that he has problems with the last version on his x5000.

Quote:

guigfx - this might relate to using a beta of OS4?

I have also tested the latest beta of Netsurf 6752 and this also works on my system without an error message from "guigfx.library". Guigfx as a library is also available for PPC on Os4Depot maybe the user missed to install it. On my system there is "guigfx.library" version 20.0 in Sys:libs/ and I do not get an error message about missing libraries.

I really like using NetSurf because it uses very fast rendering. Is there a way that we can debug NetSurf to see exactly where it hangs?

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

Yes he is the developer of the 68k/OS4 frontends

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Maijestro

It shouldn't need guigfx unless you're running a palette mapped screenmode.

To see the log you can use "netsurf -v" I usually redirect it with *>ram:ns.log
Whether it shows where it is hanging is another matter!
I know the latest builds are freezing on start due to the search providers changes, but I haven't had chance to look into it further.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Chris wrote:@Maijestro

It shouldn't need guigfx unless you're running a palette mapped screenmode.

To see the log you can use "netsurf -v" I usually redirect it with *>ram:ns.log
Whether it shows where it is hanging is another matter!
I know the latest builds are freezing on start due to the search providers changes, but I haven't had chance to look into it further.

Thanks for the tip with the protocol output. As already mentioned, Netsurf 3.11 works, but there is no connection to the internet/websites. "error fetching page"

Resized Image

With version 3.6 of Netsurf there are no problems, so maybe we should find out what changes have been made after NetSurf 3.6 which no longer allows connection to the internet. It may not be helpful, but I have recorded the log output from NetSurf 3.11 for you.

NetSurf 3.11 log: https://pastecode.io/s/pgh2fqxe

Since this log is very long, I had to save it to an external website. If you have any ideas
what we can do, let me know and I will help you investigate the problem further.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Maijestro

A lot has changed since 3.6 so I'm not sure that's helpful.

There's nothing useful in the log either.

What I said about AmiSSL earlier was nonsense - the OS4 builds don't use it, last time somebody asked it was on OS3.

The latest builds have the issue with the search providers - if you're getting past that somehow I wouldn't trust the integrity of the system to work properly afterwards. I need to fix that first before investigating further.

3.11 should work though.

I switched over to AmiSSL for the OS3 builds due to a very similar problem, maybe I need to do that for OS4 too?

When I have time to fix the search providers thing I'll see if I can do an AmiSSL build.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Chris wrote:@Maijestro

I switched over to AmiSSL for the OS3 builds due to a very similar problem, maybe I need to do that for OS4 too?

Yes I think NetSurf should support AmiSSL and it would be worth a try. If you need help testing on AmigaOs4.1 you can count on me to test those builds. You can also contact me privately.

Quote:

When I have time to fix the search providers thing I'll see if I can do an AmiSSL build.

It's fine one thing at a time, as mentioned I can help you with testing, unfortunately that's all I can do as I have no programming skills. I still thank you for the development of Netsurf.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Also I'm told I've fixed this connection problem in 3.12, it's something to do with the beta of OS4.

But as I say, the CI builds are a bit broken currently so I'm not sure which one will work.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I don't know if it's specifically only OS4 beta testers or not, but whoever has a version of the Roadshow TCP/IP stack that has gethostbyname_r in bsdsocket.library would be affected (only for NetSurf 3.11).

That function wasn't defined in the OS4 SDK until more recently (although the Roadshow SDK could be updated independently), so previously it wouldn't matter which version of bsdsocket.library people had, but now the SDK defines it and NetSurf's libcurl patch needed fixing because as far as I can tell, the patch previously had commented out the gethostbyname_r code but would only run the fallback code if that function wasn't defined in the SDK.

As far as I understand it, now the libcurl in NetSurf 3.12 should be using gethostbyname_r for people that have it, and the fallback code for people that don't.

Edited by MickJT on 2024/8/10 9:37:46
Edited by MickJT on 2024/8/10 9:43:56
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris @all

Quote:
Chris wrote:Also I'm told I've fixed this connection problem in 3.12, it's something to do with the beta of OS4.

I do not use a beta system of AmigaOs4.1, unless I was sold a beta version of AmigaOs4.1 for the A1222 without my knowledge

Again briefly to NetSurf I have tested the test builds a little and found a version 3.11 which works very well for me. NetSurf 3.11 Dev 5442 should work on all AmigaOs4.1 like systems. From version NetSurf-gcc-6506 there are connection problems.

https://ci.netsurf-browser.org/builds/amiga/NetSurf-gcc-5442.lha

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

Out of curiosity, what version of bsdsocket.library do you have?

Mine is bsdsocket.library 4.307 ( 9/02/2012).

Here is the post where the DNS issue was solved for people with a later bsdsocket lib (wherever it came from!): https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=145704#forumpost145704

Try the version from the link in that post.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:
MickJT wrote:@Maijestro

Out of curiosity, what version of bsdsocket.library do you have?

Mine is bsdsocket.library 4.307 ( 9/02/2012).

We seem to have found the culprit, I am using bsdsocket.library 4.321 (06.06.2016) on my AmigaOs4.1 system.

Quote:

Here is the post where the DNS issue was solved for people with a later bsdsocket lib (wherever it came from!): https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=145704#forumpost145704

Try the version from the link in that post.

I have tested the NetSurf 3.12 Dev Build and it works, but after a while it loses the connection and NetSurf 3.12 can no longer be closed, but there is no error message. As it is a developer version it is ok for now.

The problem really seems to be the newer version of bsdsocket.library. Thanks for the hint, maybe @Chris can do something with it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The issue with it not closing is probably unrelated, although he could make a test build that never uses gethostbyname_r to be 100% sure.

So do you know where your newer bsdsocket came from? An updated RoadShow perhaps? Something you can get from Enhancer? Or maybe the A1222 edition of OS4 has a later RoadShow.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:

So do you know where your newer bsdsocket came from? An updated RoadShow perhaps? Something you can get from Enhancer? Or maybe the A1222 edition of OS4 has a later RoadShow.

I have checked my version of bsdsocket.library is part of AmigaOs4.1 FE for the A1222. There is no bsdsocket.libary in Enhancer Software 2.2 and it cannot be obtained via the updater.

From my Qemu/Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 installation I have additionally taken bsdsocket.library version 4.307 ( 9/02/2012) and tested it on my A1222, with the older library I could not establish an internet connection, so I suspect that Roadshow is used on the A1222 in a newer version.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I confirm what you found.
I started my Sam460 on an Update 2 partition - bsdlib 4.307. Netsurf works well.

While on my "all beta" partition - bsdlib 4.321, Netsurf doesn't open pages.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I've fixed the search providers issue, so the latest CI build should work now: https://ci.netsurf-browser.org/builds/amiga/NetSurf-gcc-6756.lha

@Elwood if it isn't working on the beta then we need to figure out what has changed.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Thanks for the latest beta, works without any obvious issues. Https support was broken many times, but this woks, too!.

Thanks!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Chris wrote:I've fixed the search providers issue, so the latest CI build should work now: https://ci.netsurf-browser.org/builds/amiga/NetSurf-gcc-6756.lha

@Elwood if it isn't working on the beta then we need to figure out what has changed.

Thanks for the new developer version, unfortunately I can't test it at the moment because I'm on vacation.

Mick-JT has already given some hints see post https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=150076#forumpost150076 maybe you can do something with it?

Otherwise maybe someone should explain what exactly the changes are and what support Netsurf should add in future versions to make it work on older bsdsocket.librarys as well as newer Versions.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

It was fixed since way back in January but the 3.11 release is from before then. Chris and I were emailing each other back then too. A patch that the amigaos NetSurf source was applying to libcurl, needed changing after an SDK update. That was all.

Edit: Clarification

Edited by MickJT on 2024/8/14 3:56:23
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

I have tested the latest test build of NetSurf 3.12 (NetSurf-gcc-6756) it starts without error messages, earlier versions of Netsurf 3.12 always gave a GURU “GrimReaper” which could be ignored.

Unfortunately, even with the latest test build there is no possibility to visit websites. So I hope for future versions where it will work again.

Thanks for the support and further development of Netsurf.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@chris
I also did a test of the latest release, and it doesn't work on visiting any website, no matter if they use SSL or not. It seems like a curl issue. Maybe the change MickJT mentioned above is not applied.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »