Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

Buying brand new RAM for the Amiga 1222: Options/brands to consider?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Since it appears that the Amiga 1222 has been released (can't find any announcements / pressreleases / product pages on A-EON.com, though - it's like the computer doesn't exist) now would be a good time to consider buying a motherboard. According to the
"A1222 Guide: Initial Build and Setup"-guide, it seems as if there are a few pre-requisits to have in mind:

* AmigaOS can currently "only" address 2 GB of RAM

* The system expects "standard 1.5V DDR3 SO-DIMM" chips

* The hardware has only been tested with "unbuffered, non-ECC SO-DIMMs running at 800MHz"

* With this in mind, "2GB Kingston 1333MHz non-ECC SO-DIMM" chips "should work fine", according to the guide

* The official (?) Amiga 1222 manual says that the computer has only been tested with two (!) RAM chips, both from Kingston - the KVR800D3S8S6/2G chip and the KVR13S9S6/2 chip. Both of these chips seem to be out of production.

As a lot of people who have assembled their own systems can vouch for, using the wrong kind of RAM is like asking for trouble. Non-hardware compliant RAM usually result in seemingly random lockups, crashes and other unexpected behaviors. Since none of the recommended Kingston chipsets seem to be available any longer, and since A-EON haven't taken the time to test any other RAM circuits that are actually being manufactured in 2024, what other new options/brands are there to consider?

(I do realize that used RAM can probably be bought on various auction sites, but this is not what I have in mind; I'd like a brand new Amiga, and starting my OS 4 journey by buying used parts isn't what I have in mind)

Go to top
Re: Buying brand new RAM for the Amiga 1222: Options/brands to consider?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@FirstNinja

Quote:

As a lot of people who have assembled their own systems can vouch for, using the wrong kind of RAM is like asking for trouble. Non-hardware compliant RAM usually result in seemingly random lockups, crashes and other unexpected behaviors. Since none of the recommended Kingston chipsets seem to be available any longer, and since A-EON haven't taken the time to test any other RAM circuits that are actually being manufactured in 2024, what other new options/brands are there to consider?

(I do realize that used RAM can probably be bought on various auction sites, but this is not what I have in mind; I'd like a brand new Amiga, and starting my OS 4 journey by buying used parts isn't what I have in mind)

Since I bought my system puhhhh I'm not sure about 3-4 months ago maybe I can give you some information about it.

I ordered the computer as a complete system as it is offered by A-Eon on http://www.a1222plus.com.

To answer the memory question, I replaced the original DDR3 memory with a “Samsung 8GB PC3L-12800S DDR3 1600 MHz 1.35 V SODIMM RAM” and have not noticed any difference to the installed memory. You can still find the memory as new on Amazon and co.

If you want to know anything else please ask and I will try to share my experiences with you.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Re: Buying brand new RAM for the Amiga 1222: Options/brands to consider?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@FirstNinja

Some info here:

https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=148679

I also done some testing and results with different sodimms on A1222.

-dooz

Go to top

Register To Post