Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 60

beworld, more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

Billy Frontier broken missing textures
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Today I tested the port from Billy Frontier on my A1222 and was surprised that it works well apart from the slightly longer loading times.

But then I noticed....the game shows me broken and missing textures.

Who is working on Ogles2, is it currently only Daniel (Daytona675x) Müßener ?

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Re: Billy Frontier broken missing textures
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
it is *only* daniel

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

Thank you for the information.

Something else, are you in the process of rebuilding ScummVM from scratch? All builds on your server have disappeared.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro

https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=140116#forumpost140116

Maybe you could try to blacklist ogles2.library and retest?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

yes, albeit work keeps me occupied for at least the next month...there is a strange compiler error in sci which i have yet to find and fix

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

Looking at your video, I'm pretty sure that the textures are in VRAM. The camera angle looking down from overhead shows the cobblestone road, grass and everything. As soon as the angle changes to looking at the characters from the side, then only a small circle of the ground is visible.

It also looks like there are some z-buffer issues. For example, you see the tumbleweed looking like its sticking out from underneath the buildings and coffins even though they should be in front. This suggests that the coffins and the buildings are being drawn on top of the tumbleweed when they shouldn't be.

EDIT: There's definitely z-buffer problems, because the bull's hat gets drawn in front of him when it should be behind.

If this is only happening on the A1222, then something is probably going wrong with the FPU emulation. You can try adding the game to the Load-Time-Emulator's (LTE's) blacklist.

WARNING: The software FPU emulator is much slower than LTE.

Hans

Join the Kea Campus - upgrade your skills; support my work; enjoy the Amiga corner.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - see more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans @Capehill

Quote:
Hans wrote:@Maijestro
If this is only happening on the A1222, then something is probably going wrong with the FPU emulation. You can try adding the game to the Load-Time-Emulator's (LTE's) blacklist.

I informed Daytona675x about this problem as he is probably the only one working on Ogles2 for AmigaOs4.1 at the moment. He also did some short tests and now comes.... on his X5000 he had exactly the same problems with Billy Frontier and could reproduce it exactly.

Daniel himself also ran a few tests with glsnoop, but couldn't find anything conspicuous and at the moment can't explain exactly why the broken texture display occurs.

It seems that there is a bug within Ogles2/Nova that requires further investigation. He himself wrote me that he will investigate the problem further.

Could it also be a driver problem?

@Raziel

Quote:
Raziel wrote:@Maijestro
yes, albeit work keeps me occupied for at least the next month...there is a strange compiler error in sci which i have yet to find and fix

Great, maybe a fresh start is the best solution to develop a stable and improved version of ScummVM. Your last gles build I tested when it didn't crash worked fine on my machine and BladeRunner played smoothly, on all other builds including clib4 I tested BladeRunner was slower.

Edited by Maijestro on 2024/9/24 15:35:37
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

awesome that Daniel is looking into it, haven't heard from him ina while

/ot

the error has been dealt with, unfortunately after i got back to work.
it compiles but upload has to wait until october

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

Quote:
I informed Daytona675x about this problem as he is probably the only one working on Ogles2 for AmigaOs4.1 at the moment. He also did some short tests and now comes.... on his X5000 he had exactly the same problems with Billy Frontier and could reproduce it exactly.

Okay, that rules out A1222 specific issues.

It was working back in 2022 (link). So the question is, what's changed since then?

Quote:
Could it also be a driver problem?

Of course it's possible. And seeing as it used to work, it might be worth trying some older versions of the driver, to see if something broke it.

The graphics errors really look like the depth testing is disabled, or the wrong depth test equation is used. Otherwise you wouldn't have things like the hat that should be behind the body getting drawn on top. Or, the player's body being drawn over the top of his hand which is in front.

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2024/9/25 7:09:43
Join the Kea Campus - upgrade your skills; support my work; enjoy the Amiga corner.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - see more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
This is something that only happens in the unreleased 3.4 dev wip driver.
With the official 3.3 it works, although on A1222 3.3 may have other issues (which have been fixed already).
The problem here comes from the new state-mirror and it's obviously related to wrongly set z-buffer- and maybe culling-states. There are no broken textures.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The issue has been fixed in the latest 3.4 wip version (tested on X5000 and A1222).
From the changelog:

- Fix: forgot to adjust some attributes for glGet to also use the new state mirror. Therefore for some parameters the previous physically applied value was returned, which isn't necessarily the true current value. This was the reason for z-buffer related issues with "Billy Frontier" because the game got confused regarding the current depth-test and depth-mask modes. Thanks to Maijestro for reporting.
- version set to 3.4 (27.09.2024)

Go to top

Register To Post