Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
22 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 22

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition or Odyssey?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Here is something for you all to bang your heads on, it is driving me insane.

A couple of weeks ago Odyssey gave me a GrimReaper and refused to launch.
Weird I thought, and I don't even remember what I tried to do to make it work again, probably I made a fresh install, but it didn't work.

So I booted the spare SYS partition and voilá, it launched!
My immediate thought was that my main System Partition has to have some issue, in fact when I booted from there Odyssey GrimReapers a launch.

I thought I'd do a fresh install of the System Partition and boy o boy it is really becoming a drag instead of a pleasant hobby thing to do. AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, then the updates, then being careful to not screw up with the radeon drivers, then install part of the Enhancer package. Modify the Kicklayout for the RadeonRX...
Not Cool!

Long story short, Odyssey didn't want to launch when starting from the freshly installed partition.

So I musste have missed something.

At the end I replaced the SSD with a brand new one, created 4 partitions, SSD0 (Fresh install of OS4.1FEu2 with Enhancer stuff), SSD1 (a copy of the System partition that launches Odyssey), SSD2 (OS4.1FE u2 vanilla), SSD3 (Work).

SSD0 does not want to start odyssey.
I cloned SSD1 to SSD0 and used CompareDirs to verify it is the same, icon files differ, appdir entries differ once I launch some apps, and some directories have different creation dates (even though I copied using the CLONE option).
No success, Odyssey refuses to launch.
I am double-clicking on the same "Odyssey" from the same drawer, there are no special setting in Odyssey, just the latest available version. It resides in the SSD3(Work) partition and starts when I boot the system from SSD1 or SSD2 but not SSD1.

I went ahead of me and tried the same with yet another drive, a new "conventional" sata HDD I had as spare. I removed all other drives to exclude any interference.

So any ideas where I can start to search for bugs?
The kicklayout points to the kickstart modules in the system partition it is booting from, so no error there I guess.

In the CFE menu I choose the option to boot from the "amiga menu" and then the appropriate option for SSD0, 1, or 2.

To recap:
The SSD0 partition is the same as the SSD1: partition (except some info file, but they were clone copied from SSD1, so no tool type should be different).
Odysses launches when the system is started from SSD1 put grim Reapers when it is started from SSD0:

Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition or Odyssey?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / PiStorm CM4 / SD HDD / WifiPi connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Did you try snoopy to see if you are missing any MUI libraries in your setup, or something else?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The original problem was Odyssey refusing to run after a Grim Reaper crash...but you could still boot into that SYS: partition? Correct?

I don't know why you're having trouble after a clean reinstall of everything, but the first problem could have been a corrupt Odyssey cache, cookie file, etc.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Tuvok

I had a problem with Odyssey back in Easter. Have you installed any 68K software at all that may conflict? Check my thread here for issues:
https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... 637&keywords=consistently

TL;DR my own issue was a 68K AsyncIO library. Now, your issue is likely a different one. But it can be something to check just in case.

What does your crash look like in the stack trace?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
When I happen to me some problem, my first test is try consistency to the NGFS, with command from shell:
ngfs SYS: CHECK

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@vagappc

Since Tuvok mentions CFE, he must have an X1000 (or a Pegasos?), so I doubt he has NGFS on the machine.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post