Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
28 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 28

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

USB keyboards and Uboot - on a Sam460ex
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Having some problems using keyboard with Uboot that is preventing me from... installing new uboot with better keyboard support

I am aware it's fussy about what keyboards it supports. I have some that it just fails to see at all.

But the others I have that let me press a key to get to the uboot setting or console... they work for the first keypress. Then immediately stop working again.

Do i just have to keep searching for an old keyboard that works? Or is there a trick to make these 'almost works' keyboards... work?

Go to top
Re: USB keyboards and Uboot - on a Sam460ex
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@NinjaCyborg
I have the exact same problem after updating to the latest Sam460ex firmware soon two months ago. Tried to buy a brand new keyboard as suggested by Acube also, but to no avail. Had some writing with Acube about it, and it ended up in me receiving an older firmware which *should* work.
But since it requires me to TFTP boot the Sam460 to start the firmware downgrade I still need a working keyboard. So that kind of blocks/contradicts itself.

So still waiting on a reply on second week on how to proceed from here. I'm stuck as you are :-/

Perhaps anyone with a working latest SAM460ex firmware with working keyboard can tell which keyboard they are using - although it is kind of a bummer to have to shell out for a new USB keyboard just because you updated the computer firmware.

- Thomas
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Oh wow... I'm on old firmware trying to update to the latest one which I just bought..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@NinjaCyborg
Are you on one of the newer "grey background" versions?
I came from one of the old "black background" versions which worked fine for me.

- Thomas
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@graff

it's possible to do the u-boot update/downgrade via serial terminal, connectiong a null modem cable to a PC, settings 115200 8N1.

In order to do the update from the serial terminal, under AmigaOS4.1, you need to enter before the following commands from the Shell:

nvsetenv stdin serial
nvsetenv stdout serial

and then reboot.

From this point, when back to u-boot, you can stop the boot sequence pressing 'q' key at the countdown, then enter the commands to upgrade/downgrade u-boot via TFTP.

When finished, reboot to AmigaOS4.1 and from Shell enter:

nvsetenv stdin usbkbd
nvsetenv stdout vga

to restore the original settings.

Hope this helps

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@m3x
Awesome, thanks!
I'll try this out as soon as I have some spare hours for setting it up!

- Thomas
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
i tried many times to use a serial to USB cable to connect the only other machine i have but it never worked.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

must be null modem cable, not a straight through Cable.

use putty on the PC.

to open a serial shell on AmigaOS

you can wrote the folling in shell:

newshell aux:

i have that in my user-startup, so always have a shell, I can access the computer, if the gfx has locked up.
useful for debuging.

Not sure if AmigaOS support USB2SER addapters, but my PC does.
and so I use the onboard serial port header on my AmigaONE.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post