Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
200 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 196

salass00, Swisso, emeck, VooDoo, more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmiTunes 0.5
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'm not sure if I posted here about previous versions, but I've just finished the latest version of AmiTunes - my music manager application, and it's finished enough for me to start using it for its intended purpose - running my A1200-based MP3 jukebox. As such, it does have a very minimal GUI and isn't the nicest to use, but I still use it almost every day on my A1, using AmigaAmp instead of the MAS Player it would normally use.

I've uploaded it to mus/play on AmiNet, and you can also download it from my website here:

AmiTunes 0.5

Please let me know what you think... Like I said, I don't think I'll do more on this version. I plan instead to rewrite it with a full, modern GUI and internal decoder for high-end Amigas, but if you have any suggestions or bug fixes, I'd appreciate them!

[Edit] Fixed broken link

Edited by Daedalus on 2009/7/31 9:27:02
Edited by Daedalus on 2009/7/31 9:30:00
Go to top
Re: AmiTunes 0.5
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daedalus

I'd like to try it but don't see a download link on your website :(

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

Thanks for that... Something happened the link when I pasted it - seems the word "sub" can be misinterpreted :(

Go to top

See User information
@Daedalus

Do you think a standard 68000 Amiga would be fast enough for the hardware? The parallel port it pretty slow on a 7MHz Amiga. I was just wondering if I could run something like this on my little A600/2MB/OS3.1.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@A1200

Well, the parallel port itself won't be the hold-up, but the bare 68000 might have trouble converting the MPEG data to the serial format that the MAS chip requires. This will limit the fastest bitrate you can play. At a total guess I'd say you might be able to play 96kbps or even 128kbps on a 68000 with the original MAS software, but the overheads on AmiTunes are far greater - I don't think it will even run on a 68000, and it needs an FPU, so really some kind of accelerator would be best.

The lowest machine I tested it on was an A1200 with an 030 and FPU. Worked fine with 192kbps files :)

Go to top

See User information
@Daedalus

Thanks for the info mate, most interesting. Is there readily available hardware, or at least a circuit board? I don't fancy etching my own circuits!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daedalus

sounds good! looking forward to try this on my Sam flex once I get her going

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@A1200

The MAS player was available complete up until fairly recently. I notice now that amigaKit haven't got it on their website any more, but it might be worth asking them if they're gonna stock it again. The MP3@64 is rumoured to work on the Amiga, but I haven't tested it myself, and I don't think there are any very low-end applications for using it like there is with the MAS player.

@328gts

Cool :) Let me know what you think or if you need a hand setting it up. I am working on an updated version for OS4 and high-end OS3 machines with a much nicer GUI, but that's a while away yet...

Go to top

See User information
@Daedalus

Thanks for the info, I have emailed Amigakit in case they have some coming in.

Go to top

See User information
Shame no more are being made due to a lack of MAS chips :(

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@A1200

Really? That does suck! I guess eBay might be your friend here then, or maybe AmiBay etc... Oh well!

Go to top

Register To Post