Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
41 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

smf, more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
A1222 Freezes when writing to the RAM DISK
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am a bit frustrated, I have spent 4 days working on my A1222 which was assembled for me by Amedia Computer. Unfortunately there seems to be a memory problem.

The A1222 has Kingston 1600Mhz 4GB SODIMM installed and AmigaOs4.1 was preinstalled. As soon as I copy something to the ram disk (600MB file) the whole system freezes.

I have already completely reinstalled AmigaOs4.1, but even after the reinstallation the system still freezes when I copy data to the ram disk.

I have also tried different SODIMM memory 2GB/4GB and 8GB, with 8GB SODIMM memory the system does not boot, with the other memory types I have the same problems.

At the moment I don't know what to do.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Re: A1222 Freezes when writing to the RAM DISK
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

I don't think this is a problem with your A1222.
I've read forum posts where people with sam460 have the same thing as you
Maybe a bug in AOS4

Here (you need to translate this)

https://www.ppa.pl/forum/amigaos-4.x/4 ... nie-sie-systemu/2#m813843

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Maijestro

I encountered this problem on my classic Amiga 1200 PPC AOS 4.1 and the swap partition, there is a bug in the 4.1.1 update. I looked for the origin of the problem and finally I put back the Kickstart folder of the CD.

So if you use Swap it must come from a buggy file in the Kickstart folder.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@smarkusg

I translated that from Polish to English, and I can see there is confusion about DSI.

DSI is not a question of runtime or Application,

Runtime is when program, application, game or OS is being used.
Compile time, is when developer makes the game. Uses GCC and produce the application.

DSI can occur during compile time or under runtime.
(sense the development tools are in runtime)

DSI is short for Data Storage Interrupt. And it happens because the OS supports memory protection, when programs write outside allocated memory, or into page null, the running tool, game, program, application, driver or OS will be halted at bug in the software.

Gram Repair provided as detailed information about crash as it can get, and you send that developer, who wrote the software.

There are also other confusions I see all the time on forum, I keep seeing: people with no knowledge of this, are saying.

“AmigaOS does not have memory protection because X program crashes, and bring down the OS“

As I wrote above that is incorrect.
The reason why a crash can bring down AmigaOS, is because the stack is not isolated per Process/Task, like it’s on UNIX. On UNIX the stack is virtual, always at the same memory address, no matter if the stack content is different on a different process, stack is not shared. On AmigaOS the stack is in shared memory, and IPC is shared and lots of other tables, this means that they can easily be corrupted. the shall stack and process stack is one and the same, it is cleared, however, when running a different command. (At least you can’t snoop it from the same shell.)

On AmigaOS4.1
“The Stack” is always shared memory.
“the heap” is shred or private memory (can be virtual)

Edited by LiveForIt on 2024/6/8 9:54:33
Edited by LiveForIt on 2024/6/8 10:02:16
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@skynet

Quote:
skynet wrote:@Maijestro

I encountered this problem on my classic Amiga 1200 PPC AOS 4.1 and the swap partition, there is a bug in the 4.1.1 update. I looked for the origin of the problem and finally I put back the Kickstart folder of the CD.

So if you use Swap it must come from a buggy file in the Kickstart folder.

I don't use a SWAP partition, as far as I know you don't need one on an x1000/x5000/A1222. But I could be wrong.

Is there something I can use to check the memory directly under AmigaOs4.1, or something that takes up a lot of memory?

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro

even when copying 10MB or 100MB file?

On my sam460 I know that when I reach ~800/900 MB being used it can "freeze" the USB stack, and I can't type/move anything.

Do youi get a complete freeze or just USB mouse/keyboard doesn't respond?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Maijestro

Ok, I only used swap on my classic 1200 since I only had 256 MB of ram.

Now that I have an X5000 I don't need the swap partition.

To see if you are using swap open Media Toolbox and see if you have a partition named swap.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jabirulo

Quote:
jabirulo wrote:@Maijestro

even when copying 10MB or 100MB file?

On my sam460 I know that when I reach ~800/900 MB being used it can "freeze" the USB stack, and I can't type/move anything.

Do youi get a complete freeze or just USB mouse/keyboard doesn't respond?

I just checked it small files 10 MB or 40 MB work. Anything over 40 MB causes the system to freeze. I can see it on the CPU display which then freezes.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@skynet

Quote:
skynet wrote:@Maijestro

To see if you are using swap open Media Toolbox and see if you have a partition named swap.

I have checked this, I do not use a SWAP partition. Thanks for the tip though.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

Ram Disk should be using a new feature called Memory Objects, this are in high memory, Physical memory above 2Gbytes, this will happen on hybrid 32bit/64bit CPU’s.
As I understand if you have two dims they need to be of the same type.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
LiveForIt wrote:@Maijestro

Ram Disk should be using a new feature called Memory Objects, this are in high memory, Physical memory above 2Gbytes, this will happen on hybrid 32bit/64bit CPU’s.
As I understand if you have two dims they need to be of the same type.

I only use one SODIMM 4GB bar.

@all

I have tested it a little further, even a 100 MB file can be copied into the RAM DISK, maybe it is really just a limitation of AmigaOs4.1.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Maijestro

I've also noticed that my A1222 freezes if I copy files that are too large to the RAM disk, but only if I have completely maxed it out (i.e. no more space to copy to). I've tried two different brands/capacities of RAM sticks and it is the same on both.

On my setup, I do have a SWAP partition.

Kind regards,

Francis

EDIT: I stand corrected. If I attempt to copy the AmigaOS 4.1 ISO image (~600MB) to RAM: using the Workbench drag'n'drop it freezes the system. I've tried this three times and it varies each time how far it progresses (19%, 31%, 24%). I also tried doing the copy using the Shell and it worked flawlessly.

Edited by dfstudios on 2024/6/8 11:55:07
Amiga 1200 with Apollo IceDrake
Amiga 1222+ with RadeonRX 550
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@dfstudiosQuote:
dfstudios wrote:@Maijestro

I've also noticed that my A1222 freezes if I copy files that are too large to the RAM disk, but only if I have completely maxed it out (i.e. no more space to copy to).

RAM disk will always show 100%, because it dynamically resizes to accomodate whatever is stored in it.

Quote:

On my setup, I do have a SWAP partition.

You shouldn't really need a SWAP partition. AmigaOS can only address 2GB RAM, so you should only use a swap partition if you have less than 2 GB physical RAM. The modules available for most "modern" PPC Amigas (i.e., Sam, AEON machines) should be relatively cheap and plentiful to afford 2GB

BTW, just tested on my X5000, no problems copying a 1 GB file to RAM disk.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
What if there was a problematic file in the kickstart folder of update 1 like in the classic version?

I will have to test on X5000.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@daveyw
Quote:
You shouldn't really need a SWAP partition. AmigaOS can only address 2GB RAM,
At least 4 GB with software using ExtMem like ram-handler, maybe more on the 64 bit systems.
ExtMem uses a small virtual memory window with the virtual address in the first 2 GB, the physical memory address can be anywhere (upper 2 GB on the 32 bit systems, on 64 bit systems it could even be outside of the first 4 GB).
It's similar to the bank switching used on 16 bit CPUs like Z80, 6510, 8086, etc. in the 1980's to access more than 64KB RAM.
According to the autodocs ExtMem doesn't work with the Pegasos2 kernels. Maybe the A1222 kernel has a similar problem/bug?
I'd try replacing the ram-handler.kmod, either with a much older version, or maybe the current version of a Pegasos2 version of AmigaOS 4.1 in case it includes a special Pegasos2 version without ExtMem support, and check if a version of ram-handler which doesn't use ExtMem works.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@dfstudios

Quote:
dfstudios wrote:@Maijestro
EDIT: I stand corrected. If I attempt to copy the AmigaOS 4.1 ISO image (~600MB) to RAM: using the Workbench drag'n'drop it freezes the system. I've tried this three times and it varies each time how far it progresses (19%, 31%, 24%). I also tried doing the copy using the Shell and it worked flawlessly.

That's exactly how I did it. I copied the AmigaOs4.1.Iso (600MB) via drag&drop into the ram disk and after 24% of the loading process the system froze.

@joerg

thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. Under Qemu/Peg2 I never had problems with copying to the ram disk until the memory was completely used up.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

Quote:
Under Qemu/Peg2 I never had problems with copying to the ram disk until the memory was completely used up. Re

Yes, I bet that it would have given a practical out of memory error or some such. For some reason they thought it would be better to replace this perfectly fine working system with one that freezes the hardware instead. Developers have strange ideas on what they think is user friendliness. I don't know how developers even think that is better if they have actually tested the implementation for real. It's fine if it works but if it doesn't work there isn't much point replacing a limitation with a hard crash caused by a software fault. When you have 2GB of physical memory addressable by the OS there is no reason why it cannot load 600MB of data into RAM. How much memory is the OS using?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I just tested on X5000, if I copy the ISO from the installation CD no problem, if I duplicate, no problem at this moment 1.097 GB is copied into the ram.

If I duplicate a third time it crashes, no memory full warning

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveywQuote:
daveyw wrote:RAM disk will always show 100%, because it dynamically resizes to accomodate whatever is stored in it.

I was going by the overall free system memory. Once that was approacing zero, my system would freeze.

Kind regards,

Francis

Amiga 1200 with Apollo IceDrake
Amiga 1222+ with RadeonRX 550
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro This is a known but that does not happen only on A1222. I understand your frustration ... I am trying to identify the problem in order to fix it or circumvent it (at least, if possible).

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »