Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 86

samo79, more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Discussion point: what is AmigaOS missing? in 1995?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tao

You've brought up a few other things I had forgotten about.

The datatypes MultiView were built around are considered a stand out Amiga feature. But the ones included were a bit sparse. Mostly they just covered native Amiga filetypes. It supported ANIM. But lacked video and sound together.

Funny about the text editor. They did actually have a Notepad. But it was almost more like a word processor being to use different fonts. Then they removed it! And what they left was editors for techy people in the CLI. Ed and MEmacs. I never got MEmacs since I didn't know the IT history of it and it looked like some quirky programmers editor.

The Workbench remained too simple. Accidentally drop a file in the wrong spot and you can't undo it. Then you have go searching for where it went.

So by right click menu do you mean context menu? This was a real sore point. I had a conversation with a woman who had a 286 or similar and the lack of a context menu in AmigaOS meant that her 286 with Windows was way superior to the Amiga A500 desktop because it had a context menu. This was a real short sight. Even the Mac, which had a single button mouse by design, could not operate fully without a menu button and crippled the interface.

I know what you mean about the icons. I think what they needed was an Amiga dedicated filesystem or extension to FFS that supported icons with icon block types. Like the Mac had data and resource embedded in the filesystem. The icons being in separate files looked wasteful after a while. Default icon images wasted disk space and time loading when icons could have had preset images. And otherwise an icon cache could have existed inside the filesystem where the icons were all cached in a large block, but exposed to the outside world as regular files.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
What about DVPlayer, is it still being developed further?

I would like to see streaming support and some updated codecs. It would be great if they could do that.

I'd like to see that too. However, AFAIK, I'm the last one to touch the DVPlayer code, and I have too many projects:
- The RadeonHD & RX driver
- Warp3D Nova
- The Warp3D Nova drivers
- The VirtioGPU driver

Each one of the above normally has multiple people working on it. We need more developers, which is one of the reasons why I started the Kea Campus Amiga Corner.

@smarkusg
Quote:
You are right, the minimal version checks different/newer/older versions of VA_CHECK_VERSION.
Unfortunately no one is checking this for AOS4. The API has changed and what I've read and checked doesn't work.

The API is supposed to remain backward compatible...

Quote:
Too bad the SDK (without proprietary libraries) is not generally available.

Aren't they part of the Enhancer Software Pack (ESP)?

I remember Matthew talking about providing developers with an ESP-SDK, which should include the va.library. I can't remember if that was ever released, though.

Hans

Join the Kea Campus - upgrade your skills; support my work; enjoy the Amiga corner.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - see more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
Aren't they part of the Enhancer Software Pack (ESP)?

I remember Matthew talking about providing developers with an ESP-SDK, which should include the va.library. I can't remember if that was ever released, though.
The paid version of Enhancer Software 2.3 includes va.library and it's SDK (includes, libva.a, va.doc autodoc, libva HTML docs, etc.).

The freely available (after creating an AmiSphere account) Enhancer Software Core 2, which includes some of the Enhancer Software BOOPSI gadgets and their SDKs, doesn't include va.library nor it's SDK.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

It's weird,
I don't even know if this doesn't violate the VAAPI license, because if something has been modified (apart from its own code and I don't know under what license it is) it should probably be available to the public and not for a fee.
The va.library itself is useless anyway, as there is no additional library for the video card in sys:libs/va/va*drv_video.library, which is part of the paid driver (which is correct and not subject to discussion).

I hope I'm wrong about this VAAPI license violation (I'm not proficient in these topics)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@smarkusg
Quote:
It's weird,
I don't even know if this doesn't violate the VAAPI license, because if something has been modified (apart from its own code and I don't know under what license it is) it should probably be available to the public and not for a fee.
I don't know what licence VAAPI uses, but even in worst case and it's some Stallman nonsense like the GPL you never have any rights to get sources if you don't have access to the binaries.
In case of the free "Enhancer Software Core 2", which doesn't include VA binaries, you don't have any rights to get VA sources.
Even GPL doesn't forbid selling binaries based on GPL sources, you just have to provide the sources, and on request only, to the users who bought it. There never is any obligation to provide the sources to someone who didn't buy the binaries.

Quote:
The va.library itself is useless anyway, as there is no additional library for the video card in sys:libs/va/va*drv_video.library, which is part of the paid driver (which is correct and not subject to discussion).
LIBS:va/RadeonHD_drv_video.library and LIBS:va/RadeonRX_drv_video.library are included in "Enhancer Software V2.3".

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

For me anyway, this is pointless.
To learn how VAAPI works for AOS4 you need to buy Enhancer Software V2.
As far as I remember there is something specific about calling something as opposed to the standard VAAPI for Linux.
Is there any person who is familiar with VAAPI ( it certainly is not me ) who is interested in AOS4 or would be asked for help.
She does not need binary files just to know the principle of operation.
She would like to do something and ... she runs into a wall

I am not surprised that there are so few VAAPI related programs under AOS4.
Thanks for the explanation

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg
Quote:
I don't know what licence VAAPI uses,...

It's a BSD style license. We check licenses before using third-party code...

@smarkusg

Quote:
For me anyway, this is pointless.
To learn how VAAPI works for AOS4 you need to buy Enhancer Software V2.

You're going to need it to do any actual development, or you won't be able to test your code.

Quote:
As far as I remember there is something specific about calling something as opposed to the standard VAAPI for Linux.

Since it's an AmigaOS shared library, the va.library must be opened before you can use any of the library calls. After that, calling any of the platform-independent functions is just like on any other platforms, provided you have __USE_INLINE__ defined before including the VA library headers.**

As I said earlier, only the functions that interact directly with AmigaOS bitmaps are different (out of necessity). All the other functions are the same as for other platforms.

I'm not aware of any other difference.

Hans

** __USE_INLINE__ enables you to call shared library functions without using the OS4 interface pointers. So you can call ReadPixelArray() instead of IGraphics->ReadPixelArray(). This allows you to write code just like you would on OS3.

Join the Kea Campus - upgrade your skills; support my work; enjoy the Amiga corner.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

Sorry for derailing your thread.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

this can for example be optional part of a product.
The only problem with that, is no one will be able to build open source projects that can use it.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

LOL no worries I'm happy it had plenty of responses including plenty of on-topic ones.

Besides I'm also curious about the ffmpeg port and Emotion - on the one hand I'm glad the EntwicklerX team made it, on the other hand I wish there was better documentation and/or there isn't so much good stuff hidden behind the 'only OS4 beta testers and Enhancer team insider have the cool stuff'. At this point I'm pretty sure there are more people who are insiders than left on the outside like me. So why not do things in the open.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans @LiveForIt
Quote:
Because it is an AmigaOS shared library, va.library must be opened before ...

I know how it works and how to make the code work. I wrote that I asked about this a year ago for friends , they gave me information and were able to do the compilation.
See the thread and debug amigaos4 - >https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=147304#forumpost147304

Without this information, the code I once tried to make (mplayer versions) based on the open VAAP docs did not work.

Since access to VAAPI for open source software is closed, I can only post a patch (not by me) for people who would be interested in running VAAPI mplayer without video output.
(The patch does not include information about VAAPI initiation under AOS4, changes and links to libraries, code for AOS4 - it should work with the old version of VAAPI dal AOS4 oral FFMPEG6).

https://github.com/smarkusg/patches/bl ... r/mplayer-1.5-vaapi.patch

I hope someone will take an interest in this and find it useful

Edited by smarkusg on 2024/9/14 23:25:30
Edited by smarkusg on 2024/9/14 23:26:08
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NinjaCyborg
Quote:
Besides I'm also curious about the ffmpeg port and Emotion - on the one hand I'm glad the EntwicklerX team made it, on the other hand I wish there was better documentation and/or there isn't so much good stuff hidden behind the 'only OS4 beta testers and Enhancer team insider have the cool stuff'. At this point I'm pretty sure there are more people who are insiders than left on the outside like me. So why not do things in the open.

Yes, I think more openness would be good. However, it's up to Hyperion & A-EON how they want to run things.

As for VA-API, it's not exactly "insider only." As Joerg said, it's available to everyone who have the Enhancer Software Pack 2.3+. I don't know if its exclusion from the free Enhancer Core is intentional, or an oversight. If it were up to me, it would be included so that everyone could at least see the documenation and build code that uses it.

@smarkusg
Quote:
I know how it works and how to make the code work. I wrote that I asked about this a year ago for friends , they gave me information and were able to do the compilation.
See the thread and debug amigaos4 - >https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=147304#forumpost147304

Without this information, the code I once tried to make (mplayer versions) based on the open VAAP docs did not work.

Okay. In that case, I have absolutely no idea what the differences/problems are that you vaguely refer to.

Quote:
Since access to VAAPI for open source software is closed, I can only post a patch (not by me) for people who would be interested in running VAAPI mplayer without video output.

There's no reason why open-source software couldn't use the va.library. MPlayer/ffmpeg's MIT license allows it. Even the GPL library has a "System Library" exception. Otherwise GPL code could never be used on Windows, MacOS, AmigaOS, or any other system.

Hans

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
There's a bunch of mentions here about a commercial version of Enhancer Software, namely v2.3. Do you guys mean v2.2? Or did I miss a release?

Amiga x5040 ı 16GB ı RX580
GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MartinW

Quote:
There's a bunch of mentions here about a commercial version of Enhancer Software, namely v2.3. Do you guys mean v2.2? Or did I miss a release?

Looks like 2.2 is the latest release, and it includes the va.library. I'd expect it to include the va.library SDK too, although someone would have to double-check.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Looks like 2.2 is the latest release, and it includes the va.library. I'd expect it to include the va.library SDK too, although someone would have to double-check.

I have checked it EnhancerSoftware 2.2 contains the VA.Library and also the VALibrary SDK.Now I realize why there is still no accelerated video output with MPlayer. External developers would first have to invest money in software (enhancer software) to get access to this library and its developer information in order to be able to use it for an OpenSource project, e.g. for MPlayer.

In my opinion this makes no sense and prevents developers from integrating AmigaOs4.1 functions into their own OpenSource projects.

To be clear, I'm not against commercial software that you have to buy, but if development is at an absolute standstill and there is no further development, maybe you should think about another way....

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne A1222plus AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

Given that Amiga is very much a hobby for people who simply enjoy tinkering, it's a very small price to pay to buy what little commercial software is released. I pay for pretty much every new bit of Amiga software that comes out whether I use it or not, and if I do use it it's probably for hours at the most. But I still pay.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I believe that the discussion is out of topic completely. I would suggest opening another thread and stop derailing this one.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Not only in 3.2.
I think AmigaOS needs:
- A real desktop and file manager like Ambient
- An IDE for C/C++ and one for simple language like Gambas (VB)
- Easier documentation for beginners

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I imagine that if it were up to AmigaOS and the continued use of hardware that is now out of this world we would still be playing "superfrog"

Too bad the Chinese are not interested in replicating low-cost PPC hardware.
Otherwise it would be a deal to use AmigaOS, if we look at the Chinese miniPCs that clearly have inferior performance with its CPUs and graphics cards declared on the boxes of their products.

In this case for the hardware requirements of AmigaOS games and applications even clones would be sufficient there would not be a big drop in framerate.
Even using clones.

Too bad these solutions do not exist.
Too bad.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)