Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Support us!

Headlines

Register To Post  

Internal USB header on the Amiga 1222 motherboard - does it exist or not?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The Amiga 1222's official (?) homepage states that the computer sports "2x External & 2x Internal USB port" (sic!). However, it doesn't mention anything about their specifications. Adding to the confusion, the official Amiga Tabor technical manual doesn't even acknowledge that there are any USB ports on the motherboards at all, neither external nor internal. I've been searching high and low for detailed, high resolution photos of the production ready motherboard that show any USB onboard headers, but so far I've haven't come up with anything; the photos I've found show prototype hardware or are of really low quality.

However, a five year old post on Amiga.org claims that the Amiga 1222 does in fact have a "1x9-pin USB header" that "provides 2xUSB 2.0 ports". Is this accurate? If so, where is the header located? Are the header pins soldered on to the motherboard, or do you have to do it yourself?

Resized Image

Go to top
Re: Internal USB header on the Amiga 1222 motherboard - does it exist or not?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@FirstNinja

I have one working front USB port on my A1222 system so there is definitely a working USB header on the A1222 board.

It's been a while since I set the system up so I don't quite recall the finer details but I think the other front USB port either used a different type of connector so it wouldn't work with the A1222 or it may have been something to do with the pin-out of the header on the motherboard.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00 - thank you for your reply. It all seems mildly positive then.

Does anyone else have any more details about the elusive onboard/internal USB header, its location and what it actually looks like?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@FirstNinja

I also had trouble finding the correct information for various things in the A1222 Technical Reference Manual and had to ask for help on the beta tester mailing list (unfortunately I don't seem to have any of the e-mails left so I can't check them).

At the very least in the TRM (version 1.0.1) if you zoom in on the motherboard picture on page 17 you should find a header labeled "FP USB". I think that may be the one you want. I also have in my Tabor directory a PDF "FRONTX - Mother-board USB Pin Assignment - USB Header (pinout) Connection Guide.pdf" which I think may explain the pin layout used (I have no idea why else it would be there).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@FirstNinja
A1222Plus has 2x internal USB2.0 working.
Unfortunatelly in manual TRM v1.0.4 it is not mentioned.
Internal USB connector is P19, FP USB.

Resized Image

I forgot if in past I made some modifications to the cable or not. To be sure, check the pinout like salass00 recomended.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Your case almost certainly expects a USB 3 header. The Amiga board is probably a USB 2 header, like on the Sam460ex. If so, the connectors are different, you will need an adapter.

Go to top

Register To Post